Home » Assam Government Dismisses Viral Bhutan Dam Release Claims, Urges Public to Ignore Rumours

Assam Government Dismisses Viral Bhutan Dam Release Claims, Urges Public to Ignore Rumours

by Assam Talks
0 comments

Guwahati, August 7: Amid widespread social media speculation over Assam’s flood situation, the state government has issued an official clarification stating that the recent increase in river water levels has no connection with dam water releases from Bhutan. The clarification comes after misleading messages claiming that three dam gates in Bhutan had been opened went viral online.

The statement, released through the Office of the Chief Secretary, said the information being circulated is inaccurate and advised the public to avoid sharing unverified content that could create panic during the ongoing monsoon season.

According to information shared by the Bhutanese authorities, the current rise in river levels is a direct result of intense rainfall in the upper catchment areas. Officials from Bhutan’s Department of Hydrology confirmed that there has been no emergency discharge of water from any hydropower dam contributing to the flooding downstream.

Authorities also addressed reports concerning the Kurichhu Hydropower Plant, explaining that the reservoir underwent a routine flushing operation on July 21. The exercise was part of scheduled maintenance and followed standard operational procedures. Officials stressed that it has no link to the present flood conditions affecting Assam.

Both Assam and Bhutan maintain an established coordination mechanism for monitoring rivers that flow across the international border. Flood control authorities from the two sides regularly exchange information on rainfall, reservoir status and river conditions to ensure timely communication and preparedness whenever required.

The Assam Government has urged residents to rely exclusively on updates released by official agencies, warning that misinformation during natural disasters can lead to unnecessary fear and confusion. Citizens have also been requested to verify information before forwarding messages on social media platforms.

Officials reiterated that if any significant water release from hydropower projects becomes necessary, downstream authorities are informed well in advance through established notification systems. At present, they said, the rising river levels are being driven entirely by seasonal monsoon rainfall rather than dam operations.

The government has appealed for public cooperation in combating misinformation and ensuring that only authentic flood-related advisories are shared during the ongoing emergency.

You may also like

Leave a Comment